|| location & lodging
NonCon 2002 will be held at Vassar College, in Poughkeepsie, NY (about two hours north of New York City) with events possibly spilling over into nearby hotels, as they did last year. Since we realize that navigating a vast college campus and dealing with lodging discourages some people from attending college-held conventions, we hope to make finding the convention, finding your way around campus, and finding a place to stay, as easy as possible.
- NonCon by Car: Here are some printable directions to Vassar College from various points. If these are of no help, may we suggest Mapquest? Enter "124 Raymond Ave, Poughkeepsie, NY, 12604" as your destination.
- By Train: The Metro North train runs every hour from Grand Central Station in NYC to
Poughkeepsie. Also, various Amtrak lines run through Poughkeepsie. You can visit Metro North or
Amtrak for more details and schedules. If there is enough need, we will consider running a shuttle from the train station to Vassar College campus (please let us know on your registration form if you will need this service); otherwise, taxis can easily be found.
- By Bus: a number of bus lines serve Poughkeepsie, including Greyhound and Trailways. Again, if you will need help getting from the bus station, please let us know on your registration form.
- Hotels: Information about area hotels available here. We will be reserving a room block at the Best Inn for certain events, and information about that hotel is also available through the above link.
- Crash space: Crash space (in Vassar dorms) is available on a very limited, first-come, first-serve basis. If you would like crash space, please plan to submit your registration as soon as possible, and please remember to indicate that you need crash space.
- Navigating Vassar campus: Vassar is big. We know this. Thankfully, there's a map.
- Parking: Parking for NonCon guests should be available in the college's North or South Lot. Barring that, limited parking is available on Raymond Ave and Collegeview Ave, the two streets bordering the campus.